Automatically sync the Strava Routes you've created or starred to your Garmin device.
- Compatible Devices
- Enabling Strava Routes
- Syncing Routes
- Syncing Custom Waypoints to Garmin Devices
- Any Garmin device that supports Courses can support Strava Routes.
Enabling Strava Routes on Garmin Devices
From the Garmin Connect website: Enable Courses permission on your Account Information page in order to take advantage of the integration.
- From the Garmin Connect mobile app: Navigate to the More tab, then tap on Settings > Connected Apps > Strava > Enable Courses permission.
Syncing Strava Routes to Garmin Devices
For a route to sync to your Garmin device, the route will have to be starred.
- From the Strava website, open the Dashboard drop-down menu and select My Routes.
From the mobile app, navigate to your saved routes from either the Maps tab or your profile page.
- From the Maps tab, select Saved > Saved Routes. Select See Details to open the route you wish to star.
- From the You tab, tap your profile picture in the upper left > Routes.
- Tap or click on the star icon so that it’s highlighted orange. If the route you’d like to sync is already starred, you’ll have to unstar it (the icon will no longer be highlighted) and then star it again.
The next time you sync your device with the Garmin Connect mobile app or Garmin Express software, any new starred Strava routes will be synced to your Garmin device. Synced routes will appear in your Courses folder on your Garmin.
If you've starred any segments along the route you created, those segments will also sync to your Garmin device as long as the segment appears on the corresponding route page on the Strava website. Once the segments have synced, you can follow them as Live Segments even while following a route.
Syncing Custom Waypoints to Garmin Devices
If the route you’ve created includes Custom Waypoints, those waypoints will automatically appear as Course Points, which are visible on the route in your Garmin Connect account. Depending on the model, your device may alert you as you near one of these points during an activity. You may also be able to see these Custom Waypoints in the Garmin Up Ahead menu. Learn more about Course Points, the Up Ahead menu, and the features of your specific Garmin device here.
What if I use the Strava Routes ConnectIQ app?
It is no longer supported and will be removed from the Garmin ConnectIQ app store.
Do I have to update my Firmware?
No, you’ll have to follow the steps above to enable Strava Routes.
How do I remove a route?
You'll need to delete the route from your Garmin device to remove it. Unstarring the route on Strava will not remove it.
What if my route did not sync?
First, check if the route was synced to Garmin Connect by looking for it in your Courses folder on the mobile app or website.
- If you see the route, sync your device to Garmin Connect via Bluetooth or Wifi.
- If you don’t, unstar and restart the route on Strava then sync your device to Garmin Connect.