Option To Suggest New Titles For Segments
Currently, a segment can only be edited or deleted by its creator. I don't have a problem with that since the hide/unhide option for rides and the starred segment option for runs will naturally decide whether a segment will appear or not. However, I notice something very common on Strava: many segments are relevant but the title is crap.
I think lot of people don't really have skill to name segments and here are the common problem I see:
- The name has spelling mistakes. Come on! This is the most outrageous problem of all. How can people be that lazy that they don't even bother to double check a name of a road or the spelling of a word...
- The name is personal, therefore irrelevant for other people. How annoying it is to see segment names like "last sprint to beer" or "<name of the road> return" (the return obviously depends on where you come from!). These titles should be for private segments, not public one since it doesn't make any sense except for its creator and his friends...
- The name isn't precised enough or could be enhanced.
For these reasons, you should have an option on a segment page to suggest a new title to its creator with a title and description field, using the same idea as activity flagging. Then, the creator has to validate it in order for the change to take effect. Another idea would be to use the community to vote for a new title. On a segment page, you could have a list of all suggested titles + the original one and let the Strava users thumb up for the one they prefer. Then, the title could be dynamically chosen according to the number of votes (but the creator still keeps the right of deletion).
The idea of suggesting changes is very similar to what you can do in Foursquare.
I also think that a guideline for naming segments could be created in the knowledge base to help people choosing a correct name. The advises could be for instances:
- For countries where US English applies, always put capital letters on (almost) every words of the title. For other languages, respect the language convention for writing titles.
- Try to avoid personal naming that makes no sense for other people.
- Try avoiding words like "return", "one way", "back", etc. but use "Northbound", "Southbound", "Eastbound", "Westbound", "Clockwise", "Anticlockwise", etc. instead.
- Try to stick to the reality of road, bridge, tunnel, overpass, underpass, trail, mountain, lake names.