Suggestions from Mountain Biker
Hi, these might have been suggested already, if so, sorry, I did have a look around and couldn't see anything similar. Also, I don't want any of this to come across as critical. I think Strava's great, but as a reasonably competitive mountain-biker, I have a few suggestions for how it might be improved for both the on and off-road crowd.
1) On the profile page on the app, there's a cup icon with the number of achievements you've got. Currently, it's meaningless. It's PRs and of course you get PRs for just riding a new route. Right now, it's not even a button. This should really be your best achievements to date - whatever they may be. When someone looks at your profile, they should be able to press this icon to see a list of your top achievements as per next suggestion.
2) On the website, your KOM page (empty for many I suspect) should be your best achievements. Most people I know are competing against themselves or friends, if their best is 34th on a particular segment, then 45th on another, that should be on their list. If you've got KOMs and cups, they should be there at the top for you to show off of course, but not everyone can get KOMs.
3) 'cups' based on popularity of segment: - In races, if there's a LOT of people, there's often more podium places/prizes. On a segment that's only been ridden by 100 people, top 10 is fine. But when there's 8,000 people, maybe cups could be awarded to top 15 or 20? I think they should still be hard to get or there's no challenge, but perhaps base it on a percentage of total riders.
4) Identify segments as road/off-road. Also, perhaps you could add MTB to the bike/run option?
5) Based on the above, auto reverse off-road segments - unless flagged as dangerous/one way. Otherwise people get in there and create reverse loops and make a big mess with too many segments in one place.
6) On the segment finder, a lot of off-road loops start and finish in one place so it's hard to see which way round is the accepted norm. A simple arrow on the segment line would help. The segment finder is currently very sketchy - tracks appear and disappear in a seemingly random manner when you move or zoom. I've found satellite view is better as you get more zoom, but regular street view is hopeless for most offroad areas.
7) Where you ride a loop more than once in a ride, could each loop appear in a different colour? As is, if you do 6 loops of a course, it's just a tangled mess of red.
8) Strava vinyl bike stickers. Help spread the addiction. Or at least identify fellow addicts.
Nick, Crest Pursuit