Bring Back Chronological Ordering and Add Filters
As should be obvious from the 600+ (as of the time of this writing) downvotes on this announcement, Strava users did not ask for, nor want, an algorithm to decide their newsfeed.
This should be reverted back to the old chronological feed and FILTERS should be added for things we want or don't want.
- Challenge Reports (Way too many)
- Challenge Accomplished (Might want to see completed, but don't care about percent updates)
- Date Range (Useful for finding that ride you went on together, or they talked about)
- Follower List (A de/select all, select club, select only A, B, C rider)
- Ride Length (i.e. don't show rides shorter than 10mi as it's most likely a commute I might not care about)
- Ride Duration (similar idea to ride length, cut out things that are 30min or less, 10 min or less, or whatever length you want)
- Activity Type (Ride, Run, Swim, Hike, Virtual Ride, Commute, Race) Some runners don't care if their triathlete buddies rode their bike, some cyclists don't care if their triathlete buddy went for a run. Neither care if they went for a swim :-)
There are probably other filters people may want, but the idea is that people CHOOSE what they want to see, not Strava's learning algorithm. My choices change day to day, some days I feel like reading through challenge reports (okay, probably not), some days I care about rider A, B, C, or perhaps I haven't seen rider D in a while at the weekly club ride, check what he's done (okay, I could go to his profile). Maybe I'm thinking I got off late today, check and see if rider E, F, and G have already gone riding.
When you give us more choice we'll find creative ways to use them, ways that I haven't even outlined here. Limit our choices and we may go elsewhere that gives us choice.