Set up Strava on your Apple Watch:
- Download the Strava app on your iPhone if you haven't already.
- Open the "My Watch” section of the Apple Watch app on your phone.
- Find the Strava app to install on your watch. If it's already installed on your Watch, then open the app on your Watch. If it's not installed, tap on Install next to Strava in the Watch App.
- Open the Strava app on your Watch. You will be prompted (on your phone) to authorize Strava for Apple Watch.
- The Strava Apple Watch app supports watchOS 3.0 or later and iOS 10.0 or later
Recording an activity with the Apple Watch app:
If you have a Series 1 or 1st Generation Apple Watch, you will have to carry your phone with you to record GPS data. The recording experience is the same as with the Series 2 - the app functions independently on the watch. Please note that the phone will not visibly respond when you record an activity even when it is collecting GPS data. You can record activities on your Apple Watch Series 2 without carrying your phone.
- The first time you record you will be prompted to accept location, Health permissions, legal disclaimer, and notifications when you open the Apple Watch app.
- Wait to acquire a GPS signal before hitting start.
- You can select your Sport Type (Outdoor Ride or Run, Indoor Run, Hike or Outdoor Walk) change your Auto-Pause settings, and choose your units of measurement.
- During your recording, you'll be able to view your current time, average pace of your current split or average overall split pace (tap the screen to toggle between the two,) total distance, and heart rate. If you enable run split notification, a notification will be displayed on your watch with the preview split pace and overall split pace (bottom-right.)
- You can enable real-time audio feedback to alert you when you start, pause, resume and stop your activity. You can also hear feedback about your total distance and if you're recording run activities, the pace on your last split and total average split pace. To enable audio cues, navigate to the settings page on your watch and tap 'Audio Cues.' Here you can toggle the Audio Cue settings independently.
- When you've finished recording, hit Stop to see the resume/finish screen. Hit Finish (flag icon) to finish the activity and be taken to the summary screen. Tap Save to upload the activity.
- The next time you are within range of your phone, your activity will upload to Strava automatically. You will get a notification when your activity is ready.
- You can view your Watch recorded activities by going to your Settings page and tapping History. Activities shown in gray have been synced to your account and activities in white can be resynced.
Available Activity Types
You can use your Apple Watch to record Outdoor Rides, Outdoor Runs, Indoor Runs (treadmill runs,) Hikes, and Outdoor Walks.
- Choose the activity you'd like to record before starting
- Outdoor Rides record GPS data and Strava uses that data to measure your speed and distance. You can view your current speed during your recording.
- Outdoor Runs record GPS data but Strava will use your watch's pedometer to measure your distance. You can tap the screen to toggle between your current split pace (1 mi or 1 km) and your overall, average split pace.
- Indoor Runs use your watch's pedometer to measure your distance when you run on the treadmill or anywhere else you cannot connect to GPS.
- Hikes and Outdoor Walks record GPS data just like Outdoor Runs. Strava will use your watch's pedometer to calculate your distance and auto-pause will be disabled automatically.
- Nordic skiing records GPS data and Strava uses that data to measure your speed and distance. Auto-pause will be disabled automatically.
- Indoor Rides and Workouts will record your heart rate and the duration of your activity.
Watch face complications
- You can add complications on modular watch faces. Choose from circular small (bottom left,) utilitarian small (middle,) or modular small (bottom right.)
- From the watch app on your phone, select Modular, choose a location, and look for Strava in the list of apps that appear.
- On your watch, force touch the watch face to bring up a 'Customize' view. Swipe right to show which complications are customizable.
Why isn't my Apple Watch recording my heart rate?
- Uninstall and reinstall the Strava app on your Apple Watch to trigger and accept the Health permission. Be sure your Apple Watch appears as Health source for heart rate. If the heart on the stats screen is a gray outline, tapping that will open Health on the phone.
The Start button on my Apple Watch app isn't working.
- Navigate to Settings on your iPhone and select Privacy > Motion & Fitness. Make sure Strava is turned ON so the toggle is highlighted green.You may have to uninstall and reinstall the Strava app before doing so. While in the Privacy section of your Settings, make sure Location services and Health are enabled.
Does Apple Watch Series 2 support Beacon or Strava Live Segments?
- No, those features are not available on the Strava Apple Watch Series 2.
Can I pair my Bluetooth LE heart rate chest strap to my Apple Watch?
- Yes, you can pair compatible Bluetooth LE heart rate sensors.
Can I use Strava with other fitness trackers simultaneously?
- We do not advise doing this. Other workout apps that use the Apple Watch’s GPS may interfere with your Strava recording.
Does the Apple Watch app include Maps and Routes?
- No, you will not be able to view maps or Strava Routes on the Apple Watch Series 2.
Please leave your feedback on the Strava for Apple Watch Series 2 app here.