We’ve released a standalone version of the Strava app that takes full advantage of the built-in GPS of the Apple Watch Series 2.
- Setting up Strava on your Apple Watch
- Using the Apple Watch app
- Watch face complications
- Send us your Feedback
You can record activities on your Apple Watch Series 2 without carrying your phone. Even if your watch still uses the GPS from the phone, the recording experience is the same as with the Series 2: the app functions independently on the watch. For Series 1 and 1st Generation Apple Watches, the new Strava Watch app requires that you carry your phone during your activity to record GPS data.
Setting up Strava on your Apple Watch
The Strava Apple Watch app supports watchOS 3.0 or later and iOS 10.0 or later
- open up the Apple Watch app and go to the "My Watch” section, find the Strava app to install on your watch. If the app is already on your iPhone, you will see "Open.”
- Open the Strava app on your Watch. You will be prompted (on your phone) to authorize Strava for Apple Watch.
- If you have a Series 1 or 1st Generation Apple Watch, you will have to carry your phone with you to record GPS data. Please note that the phone will not visibly respond when you record an activity even when it is collecting GPS data
Using the Apple Watch app
- Open the Strava app on your Watch
- The first time you record you will be prompted to accept location, Health permissions, legal disclaimer, and notifications.
- Wait to acquire GPS signal and hit start
- You can now select your Sport Type (Ride or Run,) change your Auto-Pause settings, choose your units of measurement
- During your recording, you'll be able to view your current time, average pace of your current split or average overall split pace (tap the screen to toggle between the two,) total distance, and heart rate. If you enable run split notification, a notification will be displayed on your watch with the preview split pace and overall split pace (bottom-right.)
- You can enable real-time audio feedback to alert you when you start, pause, resume and stop your activity. You can also hear feedback about your total distance and if you're recording run activities, the pace on your last split and total average split pace. To enable audio cues, navigate to the settings page on your watch and tap 'Audio Cues.' Here you can toggle the Audio Cue settings independently.
- When you've finished recording, hit Stop to see the resume/finish screen. Hit Finish (flag icon) to finish the activity and be taken to the summary screen. Tap Save to upload the activity.
- The next time you are within range of your phone, your activity will upload to Strava automatically. You will get a notification when your activity is ready.
- You can view your Watch recorded activities by going to your Settings page and tapping History. Activities shown in gray have been synced to your account and activities in white can be resynced.
Watch face complications
- You can add complications on modular watch faces. Choose from circular small (bottom left,) utilitarian small (middle,) or modular small (bottom right.)
- From the watch app on your phone, select Modular, choose a location, and look for Strava in the list of apps that appear.
- On your watch, force touch the watch face to bring up a 'Customize' view. Swipe right to show which complications are customizable.
Why isn't my Apple Watch recording my heart rate?
Uninstall and reinstall the Strava app on your Apple Watch to trigger and accept the Health permission. Be sure your Apple Watch appears as Health source for heart rate. If the heart on the stats screen is a gray outline, tapping that will open Health on the phone.
The Start button on my Apple Watch app isn't working.
Navigate to Settings on your iPhone and select Privacy > Motion & Fitness. Make sure Strava is turned ON so the toggle is highlighted green.You may have to uninstall and reinstall the Strava app before doing so. While in the Privacy section of your Settings, make sure Location services and Health are enabled.
Does Apple Watch Series 2 support Beacon or Strava Live Segments?
No, those features are not available on the Strava Apple Watch Series 2.
Can I pair my Bluetooth LE heart rate chest strap to my Apple Watch?
Yes, you can pair compatible Bluetooth LE heart rate sensors.
Can I use Strava with other fitness trackers simultaneously?
We do not advise doing this. Other workout apps that use the Apple Watch’s GPS may interfere with your Strava recording.
Does the Apple Watch app include Maps and Routes?
No, you will not be able to view maps or Strava Routes on the Apple Watch Series 2.
How is speed displayed on Apple Watch?
- Run: You can toggle between your current split pace (1 mi or 1 km) and your overall, average split pace by tapping the screen
- Ride: Instantaneous
Please leave your feedback on the Strava for Apple Watch Series 2 app here.