- Inviting a friend
- Receiving an invitation
Inviting a Friend
Invite a friend who was with you but didn't record their activity on Strava. You can invite friends regardless of whether they're already on Strava.
- Open the activity you would like to add your friend to on either the Strava website or mobile app.
- From the activity details page, you can select the Add Friend or Add Others button (highlighted below.)
- If you're sharing from the mobile app, you can choose your friend from your list of followers. If your friend isn't on Strava yet, you can select which application you'd like to use to share your activity.
- If you're sharing from the website, you will be given a link you can send to the friend you'd like to tag.
Receiving an Invitation
Asking a friend to add you to their activity is an excellent way to get credit for your efforts if, for whatever reason, your activity was not recorded by GPS.
- You will receive the invitation through a Strava notification or whichever app your friend chose to use (email, text message, etc.)
- If you're new to Strava, select Get Started, and we will walk you through creating a Strava account, and the activity you're tagged in will show up on your new account.
- If you already have a Strava account, the invitation will open your Strava app, where you can accept the invitation.
- If you accept the invitation, your friend's activity will appear on your Strava profile and feed as if it was your own.
- You will be grouped with the friend who invited you, the activity will count towards Strava challenges and clubs you are a part of, and the activity will count towards your stats.
- The activity you're tagged in will not match any segments, count towards running estimated best efforts, and won't include heart, power, or cadence data.
My friend added me to their activity, but I didn't receive the invitation.
- Double-check that you do not have any manual or partial activities already on your account with the same date and start time. The system will recognize the duplication and prevent the acceptance of the shared activity.
- Make sure that you have Add To Activities enabled in your push notification settings, and When someone shares a Strava activity with me, enabled in your email notification settings. If you don't, you'll have to enable these settings and ask that your friend send the invitation again, preferably over a strong network connection.
- If you do already have these settings enabled, and it is still not working, it may be related to a known issue, and the current workaround is to ask your inviter to invite you via text message (or other messaging apps) by using the Invite Friends button on the bottom of the activity's "Add Friends" page. To access this button, tap on the activity in the Strava mobile app, click Edit Activity, scroll to the "Add Friends" section, and click Add. Then tap on the large Invite Friends button at the bottom of the screen. Tapping this button will provide a link that can be shared with you to invite you to the activity.
Will hidden portions of my activity still be hidden in my friend's activity?
No, please be aware that the shared activity will not respect the map visibility of the inviter.
Can I add a friend to a manual activity?
No, manual activities will not support this feature.
Article is closed for comments.