Garmin and Strava have partnered to bring Strava segments to your Garmin device.
- Linking your accounts
- Selecting segments
- On your Edge device
- More information on this topic
- Strava subscription
- Garmin Connect account
- Compatible Garmin device:
- Garmin Fenix 5S
- Garmin Fenix 5S Plus
- Garmin Fenix 5X
- Garmin Fenix 5X Plus
- Garmin Fenix 5
- Garmin Fenix 5 Plus
- Garmin Fenix 6
- Garmin Fenix 6S Pro
- Garmin Fenix 6X
- Garmin Forerunner 645 Music
- Garmin Forerunner 735XT
- Garmin Forerunner 935
- Garmin Forerunner 945
- Garmin Edge 130
- Garmin Edge 510
- Garmin Edge 520
- Garmin Edge 520 Plus
- Garmin Edge 530
- Garmin Edge 810
- Garmin Edge 820
- Garmin Edge 830
- Garmin Edge 1000
- Live Segments are only available for riding and running activities.
Edge Explore devices are not Strava Live Segments compatible.
Looking for Live Segments on your Garmin Edge 1030? Please see this article
Linking your accounts
- Log in to Strava.com and click the orange "plus" icon at the top-right of the screen. Select "Upload Activity" then navigate to the Device Upload page.
- Click "Get Started" under the Garmin logo.
- Follow the prompts and enter your Garmin Connect account credentials.
- Your starred segments will show up automatically. If you star another one, it will load on your device the next time you sync. You can star segments almost anywhere you can view them - from an activity, in segment explorer, in the mobile app, etc.
- If you set a goal on a segment, it will load onto your device as well, along with an effort representing your goal time.
- A selection of 20-30 popular segments from your area can be loaded on your device as well. Popular segments can be enabled on the Starred Segments page.
On your Garmin device
- You will be alerted when approaching the start of a segment that’s on your device, and when the segment starts. Please be aware that Live Segments are only available for riding and running activities.
- During the segment, you can choose which effort to be compared against. You will always be able to select the KOM/QOM, and you could also have your PR, your goal, or the time from a friend who’s a little faster than you. The default priority is as follows:
- Goal (If you have one set for the segment)
- Rival (Next person above you that you're following on the leaderboard)
Why is my segment time different after I upload then it was on my Garmin?
Garmin devices use a different algorithm for determining when a user starts and finishes a segment than Strava uses, which can affect the elapsed time reported for the segment. To ensure consistency between users, the times shown on the Garmin during an activity are preliminary, and the times shown on Strava after uploading are final.
Why didn’t one of my starred segments show up while I was riding it?
During a ride, if GPS signal is poor, it can be hard to determine whether a user is on a particular segment or not. After the activity is uploaded, Strava can examine the entire activity and more accurately determine which segments were ridden - including the ones that didn’t show up in real time.
Can I use Live Segments on my Garmin while following a course?
At this time the segment feature will not overlay on top of the course screen.
What if I cannot get my segments to load to my Garmin?
Your Garmin may still be set to use Garmin segments, instead of Strava segments. To check this, open Garmin Connect and add segments to your dashboard. From here you can change the settings to use Strava segments. After the change is made, sync your device with Garmin Express and your segment settings will be updated.
What if some of my segments are not synced to my Garmin?
At this time we only sync 100 segments (this include the 20-30 Popular segments if you have them enabled).