If you're experiencing repeated crashes or failures, obtaining as much information as possible about that issue helps us resolve it much faster. Like any desktop computer, it is possible to record a log of every action taking place on your device, and send it to Strava for investigation. The methods available for collecting this information vary depending on the version of Android OS on your device.
Android 4.1 To Current
Collecting a bug report is performed through the built in Android OS tools.
- Go into your System Settings -> Developer options*
- Turn on the option for "Power menu bug reports"
- Open up Strava and cause a crash
- After the error happens hold down the power button for a few seconds
- The Bug Report option should appear, select that option
- A popup will display asking you to tap Report or Cancel. Please tap report.
- After you tap report it will take a few minutes but then a screenshot will be taken and your email will automatically open with the bug report and the screenshot automatically attached. Please email the log to email@example.com so we can isolate the issue for you.
*Developer settings are not enable by default. To enable then go to settings> about >tap build number 5 times
There are apps to help make this process relatively painless. We like a free App called “CatLog - Logcat Reader,” but there are many others out there that accomplish the same thing.
To record a log from your device that will potentially help Strava Support identify your issue, please follow these steps:
- Download CatLog from the Google Play Store (previously known as the Android Marketplace).
- Start CatLog.
- Press the Menu button, then “Record,” any file name will do.
- Go to the Strava App and replicate the problem.
- Go back to CatLog and press the Menu button, then "Stop Recording".
- Press the Menu button, then “Send” and choose "As Attachment".
- Pick an email app from the display and address the email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If your strava email account is different than the one you are sending from, please include it in the body of the email as well.