Activities set to “Followers” and “Only You” will not be eligible for segment leaderboards and may not be eligible for some challenges.
- To appear on a public segment leaderboard, your activity must be set to “Everyone”. See below for more information on how to manage your privacy controls.
- No matter what you choose for your activity’s privacy control, you will always be able to see your own segment times on your activity page.
- Some challenges will require activities to be set to “Everyone”. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the Challenge Official Rules located on the Challenge page. See below for more information on how to manage your privacy controls.
What is your Activity Details Page?
Your activity details page displays comprehensive data about your activity on the web or mobile app. It includes your activity’s date and time, statistics, biometrics, analysis graphs, map, segment matches, achievements, and times, elevation profile, among other metrics.
Where are these privacy controls located?
- Changing your Default Preference
- Click on the 'Privacy Controls' tab on the left side of the page.
- Select 'Everyone,' 'Followers' or 'Only You' under 'Activities.'
- Your default “Activities” privacy control will ensure that all future uploads reflect your selected preference. This setting does not retroactively change the privacy control on past activities.
- On the web, go to your Settings page by hovering over your profile picture in the top right and selecting ‘Settings.’
- On the mobile app, open your settings from the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner of the Home, Groups, or You tab. Select 'Privacy Controls'.
- Adjusting Individual Activities
- The individual activity privacy controls are also available on the upload page on mobile and web.
- On the web, go to the activity and select 'Edit' (pencil icon.) Select 'Privacy Controls' to choose between 'Everyone,' 'Only You' or 'Followers.'
- On the mobile app, go to the activity and select 'Edit.' Tap on 'Privacy Controls' to choose between 'Everyone,' 'Only You' or 'Followers.'
What are your controls?
Your activity privacy controls allow you to restrict access to your activity details page to everyone, followers, or just you. You have the option to set a default preference so that your activities automatically upload with this selection and/or you can change the visibility (Who can see) on individual activities.
- When you select Everyone:
- All Strava Athletes:
- Will have full access to this page. Your activity’s photos and gear will be visible to non-followers if you set your profile controls to “everyone.” Set your profile to “followers” if you want to hide your photos and gear from non-followers.
- The activity will appear on leaderboards for segments and challenges. Other users can navigate to your activity details and profile pages from these leaderboards.
- Anyone on the web:
- Will see a logged-out version of your activity page which will include activity distance, elevation, moving time, pace/speed, calories, relative effort, photos (unless profile is set to followers), map, elevation profile, top achievements, splits, popular segment matches and your effort time, kudos, and comments.
- All Strava Athletes:
- When you select Followers:
- Will have full access to this page. This includes your start time, photos, and gear.
- The activity will not appear publicly on leaderboards for segments nor challenges that contain a leaderboard. You and your followers will still see segment matches and your corresponding times on your activity details page.
- Will not be able to access this page, but may see summaries of the activity on your profile or club feeds. If you want to hide your activity summaries from your profile or club feeds, you need to change your profile visibility controls to “Followers”.
- May see your activities grouped to other athletes, but won’t be able to access the details page. Adjust your Group Activities visibility control if you want to prevent this.
- No one on the web:
- Will see a logged-out version of your activity. If a logged-out web user tries to access an activity with the “Followers” control enabled, they will be redirected to a sign in/create an account page.
- When you select Only You:
- You are the only person who can access the activity details page.
- The activity will not appear on your profile or club feeds as a summary nor will your activity be on public leaderboards of any kind.
- If it counts toward a challenge, other athletes may see updates on your progress via the challenge progress bar on the mobile profile page.
- You will still see segment matches and your corresponding times on your activity details page.