Creating a Privacy Zone
- On the web, go to your Settings page by hovering over your profile picture in the top right and selecting ‘Settings.’
- Click on the Privacy tab on the left side of the page.
- Enter an address or GPS coordinate in the text field provided under ‘Hide your house/office on your activity maps,’ select the size of the privacy radius, and click ‘Create Privacy Zone.’
- On the mobile app, select 'Profile' > 'Settings' (gear icon in the upper right-hand corner) > 'Privacy Controls.' Scroll down to select the ‘Privacy Zones’ option.
- Select the ‘Add’ button in the upper right-hand corner.
- Enter an address, select the size of the privacy radius and hit ‘Save.’
Regenerate your Privacy Zone
- Select the option to ‘Regenerate’ your privacy zone to randomize the area that’s hidden around the address you entered.
- Please allow a few moments for your activities to be updated. During this time, you will not be able to regenerate this Privacy Zone.
How it Works
The portion of your activity that starts or stops within your Privacy Zone will be hidden from other Strava athletes who view your activity. You will be able to see this portion of your activity, but other athletes will not.
- If you stop within or pass through a privacy zone during the middle of an activity, this portion will not be hidden.
- Your new or refreshed Privacy Zone will be automatically applied to all past and future activities.
- Lat/long coordinates can be used in place of a street address for cases where there is no street address.
- Only one Privacy Zone can be applied to the start or end point for each activity. So if you have multiple, overlapping Privacy Zones, only one will be applied to each start or end point.
- If another athlete, including your followers, starts their activity from within your Privacy Zone, the portion that began in your zone will not be hidden on their activity.
- You will not appear on any segment leaderboard that starts/stops within your Privacy Zone and you cannot hold or earn any QOMs/CRs on those segments. Removing a Privacy Zone will reinstate your segment matches and any associated KOMs/CRs.
- Your Privacy Zone will be respected when you share on other networks, such as Facebook.
I created a Privacy Zone but my activity isn't hidden.
Remember, you will still be able to see data inside your own Privacy Zone. To confirm what's hidden from others, you can display the privacy zone as a red circle on the map. From the map options menu, select the checkbox next to 'Show Privacy Zone.'