Premium athletes can now use Strava Beacon on their Garmin to share their real-time location with their family and friends.
- Setting up Beacon in Strava
- Setting up Garmin Connect
- Starting an activity
- Leave us Feedback
- Strava mobile app
- Strava Premium subscription
- Garmin Connect mobile app
- Strava Beacon compatible Garmin device
Setting up Beacon in Strava app
- Open the Strava app, go to the Record screen, and click the Beacon icon (A)
- Enable the 'Beacon for Garmin' under the 'Beacon' option. (B)
- Follow prompt to turn on Autostart feature in Garmin Connect app (C)
Setting up Garmin Connect
- If you have an Auto Start capable device, the option will appear, and you only need to enable it once (A).
Starting an activity
- Pair your Garmin device with the Connect app via Bluetooth.
- If you have Auto Start enabled, start your recording on your device and a Beacon link will be automatically sent to your Safety Contacts.
- If you have Auto Start disabled, go to 'LiveTrack' in the side navigation menu and press the 'Start LiveTrack' button at the bottom of the screen, then start your recording on your device. You can start the recording first, then enable LiveTrack - but you will need to start both manually.
Return to the settings page to send additional Beacon links.
Do I still need to carry my phone?
Yes, even though your Garmin is the device that is recording the GPS of your activity, you still will need your phone to transmit your location data to your safety contact.
Does my phone need cellular signal for Beacon to work?
Yes, in order to send your location, your phone will need cellular service. If you lose service at any time during your activity, your location will be updated the next time you are back in service.
Are the text messages being sent from my phone number?
No, when using Beacon on Garmin, the text messages will be sent to your safety contact from a 3rd party, so the phone number of the text message will be different.