In an effort to keep our segment leaderboards as fair as possible, we ask you to follow these guidelines:
- Keep motorized and non-traditional bicycle data off the leaderboards
- Use the E-bike Ride and Virtual Ride activity types
- Hide motor-paced rides (cycling behind a vehicle) from leaderboards
- Manipulated GPS data is not allowed on any leaderboards
- Keep rides with a mixed gender tandem bike off leaderboards
- Mark duplicate versions of an activity as private
- Responsibly participate in segment leaderboards
- Report activities that should not be on leaderboards
Guidelines for motorized and non-traditional bicycles:
The Ride activity type is for conventional human-powered bicycles (including recumbents) riding outdoors. Do not use this activity type if your activity includes data recorded while driving a car, motorcycle, pacing a vehicle, using an electric bike or other electric-assisted vehicle, using a non-traditional bicycle with full-farings or aerodynamic modifications including velomobiles, or using a GPS simulator program for virtual riding.
Use the E-bike Ride and Virtual Ride activity types:
To preserve the fairness and accuracy of the leaderboards for the Ride activity type, use the available E-bike Ride and Virtual Ride activity types or adjust your activity's privacy controls to "Only You" or "Followers" (these controls will remove the activity from public leaderboards).
Guidelines for motor-paced rides:
Motor-pacing, or drafting behind a motorized vehicle, is considered motor-assistance and conflicts with the fairness and integrity of segment leaderboards. When uploading data from a motor-paced ride, please use the "Only You" or "Followers" privacy control on the activity edit screen.
Guidelines for mixed gender tandem bike activities:
Our leaderboards are gender-specific and because of this, we ask our athletes to help keep men's efforts on men's leaderboards and women's efforts on women's leaderboards. If your tandem activity contains both men's and women's efforts, please choose from the following options:
- Use your activity's privacy controls to adjust the setting to "Only You" or "Followers" in order to remove the activity's segment times from public leaderboards.
- From the edit options, change the activity type to "Workout" (not to be confused with the workout tag for rides and runs).
Guidelines on uploading duplicate activities:
If you upload duplicate activities, mark one of them as private. We do not allow two public versions of the same activity on Strava. If you continually upload duplicates and do not mark them as private, your account will be at risk for deletion.
Manipulated GPS Data
If you use a third party website to manipulate your GPS data, especially if it's to enhance your segment times, you may not upload this data to Strava. This includes uploading route files to your Strava account. Failure to comply with this guideline may result in account deletion.